Christopher edward Gross, M.D. Board Certified Orthopaedic SurgeonSpecializing in Foot & Ankle
Dr. Christopher E. Gross is currently an Assistant Professor at the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston. He is the Foot and Ankle Division Chief. He completed a fellowship at Duke University Medical Center in Foot and Ankle Orthopaedic Surgery after completing his residency training at Rush University Medical Center in Chicago. He graduated from Harvard Medical School.
As an Orthopaedic foot and ankle surgeon, Dr. Gross is particularly interested in complex reconstruction about the ankle in addition to cartilage injuries that range from small defects to end-stage ankle arthritis. He is also keenly interested in Achilles and other sports-related injuries. He is currently developing a multidisciplinary research division by harnessing the power of biologics and improved implant design, and drug delivery systems. He is the author of over 75 published journal articles, over 30 text book chapters, and 100 international and national podium presentations.
- Duke University Medical Center
Fellowship, Foot & Ankle Orthopaedic Surgery
- Rush University Medical Center
Residency, Orthopedic Surgery
- Harvard Medical School
- University of Chicago
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Certified in Orthopaedic Surgery
- SC State Medical License
Active through 2021
- OR State Medical License
Active through 2021
- Matsumoto T, Gross CE, Parekh SG. Short-Term Radiographic Outcome After Distal Chevron Osteotomy for Hallux Valgus Using Intramedullary Plates With an Amended Algorithm for the Surgical Management of Hallux Valgus.
- Tracey J, Arora D, Gross CE, Parekh SG. Custom 3D-Printed Total Talar Prostheses Restore Normal Joint Anatomy Throughout the Hindfoot.
- Gross CE, Barfield W, Schweizer C, Rasch H, Hirschmann MT, Hintermann B, Knupp M. The utility of the ankle SPECT/CT scan to predict functional and clinical outcomes in supramalleolar osteotomy patients.
- Gross CE, Palanca AA, DeOrio JK. Design Rationale for Total Ankle Arthroplasty Systems: An Update.
- Borodinov N, Gil D, Savchak M, Gross CE, Yadavalli NS, Ma R, Tsukruk VV, Minko S, Vertegel A, Luzinov I. En Route to Practicality of the Polymer Grafting Technology: One-Step Interfacial Modification with Amphiphilic Molecular Brushes.
- Erickson B, Fillingham Y, Hellman M, Parekh SG, Gross CE. Surgical management of large talar osteochondral defects using autologous chondrocyte implantation.
- Tetreault MW, Gross CE, Yi PH, Bohl DD, Sporer SM, Della Valle CJ. A classification-based approach to the patella in revision total knee arthroplasty.
- Gross CE, Nunley JA. Treatment of Neglected Achilles Tendon Ruptures with Interpositional Allograft.
- Gross CE, Chang D, Adams SB, Parekh SG, Bohnen JD. Surgical resident involvement in foot and ankle surgery.
- Dekker TJ, Erickson B, Adams SB, Gross CE. Topical Review: MACI as an Emerging Technology for the Treatment of Talar Osteochondral Lesions.
- Gross CE, Hamid KS, Green C, Easley ME, DeOrio JK, Nunley JA. Operative Wound Complications Following Total Ankle Arthroplasty.
- Gross CE, Adams SB, Easley M, Nunley JA 2nd, DeOrio JK. Surgical Treatment of Bony and Soft-Tissue Impingement in Total Ankle Arthroplasty.
- Kildow BJ, Gross CE, Adams SD, Parekh SG. Measurement of Nitinol Recovery Distance Using Pseudoelastic Intramedullary Nails for Tibiotalocalcaneal Arthrodesis.
- Lampley A, Gross CE, Green CL, DeOrio JK, Easley M, Adams S, Nunley JA 2nd. Association of Cigarette Use and Complication Rates and Outcomes Following Total Ankle Arthroplasty.
- Riff AJ, Gross CE, Foucher KC, Kuo KN, Gitelis S. Acetabular Osteoarticular Allograft After Ewing Sarcoma Resection: A 15-Year Follow-up: A Case Report.
- Gross CE, Sershon RA, Frank JM, Easley ME, Holmes GB Jr. Treatment of Osteonecrosis of the Talus.
- Gross CE, Lewis JS, Adams SB, Easley M, DeOrio JK, Nunley JA 2nd. Secondary Arthrodesis After Total Ankle Arthroplasty.
- Gross CE, Garcia R, Adams SB, DeOrio JK, Easley ME, Nunley JA 2nd. Soft Tissue Reconstruction After Total Ankle Arthroplasty.
- Neumann JA, Mannava S, Gross CE, Wooster BM, Busch MT. Arthroscopic Debridement of Pediatric Accessory Anterolateral Talar Facet Causing Impingement.
- Gross CE, Neumann JA, Godin JA, DeOrio JK. Technique of Arthroscopic Treatment of Impingement After Total Ankle Arthroplasty.
- Gross CE, Holmes GB Jr. Treatment of a Neglected Syndesmotic Injury Using a Unique Method of Reduction.
- Hellman MD, Gross CE, Hart M, Freeman R, Salata MJ, Bush-Joseph CA, Nho SJ. Radiographic Comparison of Anterior Acetabular Rim Morphology Between Pincer Femoroacetabular Impingement and Control.
- Gross CE, Nunley JA 2nd. Acute Achilles Tendon Ruptures.
- Gross CE, Lampley A, Green CL, DeOrio JK, Easley M, Adams S, Nunley JA 2nd. The Effect of Obesity on Functional Outcomes and Complications in Total Ankle Arthroplasty.
- Gross CE, Huh J, Green C, Shah S, DeOrio JK, Easley M, Nunley JA 2nd. Outcomes of Bone Grafting of Bone Cysts After Total Ankle Arthroplasty.
- Gross CE, Adams SB, Easley ME, Nunley JA 2nd. Role of Fresh Osteochondral Allografts for Large Talar Osteochondral Lesions.
- Gross CE, Adams SB Jr, Easley ME, Nunley JA. Role of Fresh Osteochondral Allografts for Large Talar Osteochondral Lesions.
- Bei C, Gross CE, Adams S, Parekh SG. Dual plating with bone block arthrodesis of the first metatarsophalangeal joint: A clinical retrospective review.
- Shi GG, Huh J, Gross CE, Adams SB Jr, Easley ME, DeOrio JK, Nunley JA 2nd. Total Ankle Arthroplasty Following Prior Infection About the Ankle.
- Gross CE, Bei C, Gay T, Parekh SG. A Short-Term Retrospective of First Metatarsophalangeal Joint Arthrodesis Using a Plate With PocketLock Fixation.
- Gross CE, Green CL, DeOrio JK, Easley M, Adams S, Nunley JA 2nd. Impact of Diabetes on Outcome of Total Ankle Replacement.
- Gross CE, Parekh BJ, Adams SB, Parekh SG. Chronic exertional compartment syndrome of the superficial posterior compartment: Soleus syndrome.
- Horowitz D, Gross CE, Frank RM, Hsu AR, Diaz A, Gitelis S. External Beam Radiation Therapy for Orthopaedic Pathology.
- Gross CE, Huh J, Gray J, Demetracopoulos C, Nunley JA. Radiographic Outcomes Following Lateral Column Lengthening With a Porous Titanium Wedge.
- Levy DM, Gross CE, Garras DN. Treatment of Unicameral Bone Cysts of the Calcaneus: A Systematic Review.
- Gross CE, Frank RM, Hsu AR, Diaz A, Gitelis S. External beam radiation therapy for orthopaedic pathology.
- Holmes GB Jr, Wydra F, Hellman M, Gross CE. A Unique Treatment for Talar Osteonecrosis: Placement of an Internal Bone Stimulator: A Case Report.
- Tetreault MW, Wetters NG, Moric M, Gross CE, Della Valle CJ. Is synovial C-reactive protein a useful marker for periprosthetic joint infection?.
- Gross CE, Haughom B, Chahal J, Holmes GB Jr. Treatments for avascular necrosis of the talus: a systematic review.
- Hsu AR, Gross CE, Lee S, Carreira DS. Extended indications for foot and ankle arthroscopy.
- Gross CE, Hsu AR, Lin J, Holmes GB, Lee S. Revision MTP arthrodesis for failed MTP arthroplasty.
- Frank RM, Hsu AR, Gross CE, Walton DM, Lee S. Open and arthroscopic surgical anatomy of the ankle.
- Gross CE, Hellman M, Freedman R, Hart M, Reddy A, Salata M, Bush-Joseph C, Nho SJ. Effect of anterior acetabular rim recession on radiographic parameters: an in vivo study.
- Gross CE, Hsu AR, Chahal J, Holmes GB Jr. Injectable treatments for noninsertional achilles tendinosis: a systematic review.
- Gross CE, Chalmers PN, Ellman M, Fernandez JJ, Verma NN. Acute brachial plexopathy after clavicular open reduction and internal fixation.
- Hsu AR, Gross CE, Lee S. Intraoperative O-arm computed tomography evaluation of syndesmotic reduction: case report.
- Hsu AR, Gross CE, Lin JL. Bilateral hallux varus deformity correction with a suture button construct.
- Gross CE, Chalmers PN, Chahal J, Van Thiel G, Bach BR Jr, Cole BJ, Romeo AA. Operative treatment of chondral defects in the glenohumeral joint.
- Hsu AR, Gross CE, Bhatia S, Levine BR. Template-directed instrumentation in total knee arthroplasty: cost savings analysis.
- Gross CE, Salata MJ, Manno K, Yelavarthi V, Barker JU, Williams J, Virkus W, Bush-Joseph C, Nho SJ. New radiographic parameters to describe anterior acetabular rim trimming during hip arthroscopy.
- Dishkin-Paset JG, Salata MJ, Gross CE, Manno K, Shewman EF, Wang VM, Bush-Joseph CA, Nho SJ. A biomechanical comparison of repair techniques for complete gluteus medius tears.
- Hsu AR, Gross CE, Levine BR. Pseudotumor from modular neck corrosion after ceramic-on-polyethylene total hip arthroplasty.